5 Best Affordable EMR Software for Small Medical Practices
Electronic medical record (EMR) software reduces the administrative burden faced by healthcare professionals so they can focus on patient care. These tools keep tabs on patient history, schedule appointments, and generate invoices after patient visits.
But if you’re a small practitioner or a private practitioner, investing in an EMR system usually means going over budget. In that case, choosing an affordable EMR software tool can help you deliver quality care to your patients without burning your pockets.
This article highlights the five most affordable EMR software systems. These products (listed in alphabetical order) were selected from our FrontRunners report on EMR software, using our methodology specified here.
- Starting price: $19 per month
- Notable Features: Appointment booking, Mapping, Claims management, Claims cleaning, Handwriting recognition
75Health is a cloud-based electronic health record (EMR) solution that helps healthcare professionals working in small to medium-sized medical clinics manage patient information and digital records.
The EMR system includes a built-in scheduler that helps you schedule patient appointments and keep tabs on electronic patient records to track their recovery progress. You can also securely store patient medical records and practice documents, such as consent forms and lab reports.
E-prescribing is available so you can send prescriptions to patients digitally and update them whenever needed. With built-in reminders, you can send reminders to patients about upcoming visits.
75Health offers email, phone, and chat support. The tool is web-based only.
Patient information in 75Health (Source)
- Starting price: $25 per month
- Notable Features: Appointment scheduling, Mapping, Complaint cleaning, Compliance monitoring, E-prescription
CharmHealth EHR is a cloud-based practice management and medical billing solution for small practices that helps healthcare organizations manage administrative tasks such as patient document management, bill generation, and patient scheduling .
Charm HR also allows you to manage the access privileges of your practitioners. All users are granted role-based access and are audited from time to time for access violations.
Patients can pay for services directly from the software using their debit or credit card, making the billing process more efficient. Additionally, the software automatically generates invoices based on the chart note entries.
The system offers email, chat and phone support and is web-based with a mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
Custom add-ons in charm EHR (Source)
- Starting price: $29.95 per month
- Notable Features: Compliance monitoring, Electronic prescription, Significant user certified, ONC-ATCB certified
EHR 24/7 is a web-based electronic health record solution for small practices and private practices. The tool supports administrative tasks, such as creating patient records and managing their medical records.
The software makes it possible to order and receive lab results online and can also help you prescribe medications online to patients. Additionally, you can create real-time diagnostic reports and patient medical history.
You can send patient reminders for upcoming visits as well as medication alerts.
EHR 24/7 offers email and phone support, and the software is cloud-based.
Patient information in the EHR 24/7 (Source)
- Starting price: $74 per month
- Notable Features: Alerts/notifications, Appointment management, Balance sheet management, Claims management, Customer portal
Jane is a practice management system for therapists, private practitioners, and small practices that makes it easy to book appointments, bill, and manage patient records. EHR software allows patients to view and choose services, treatments and practitioners based on their specific needs.
Jane allows patients and healthcare professionals to automatically receive notifications for reservations, confirmations and appointment reminders. It lets you create a patient database and add photos and videos to track progress on a centralized platform.
Patients can use the EHR system to store their billing and payment information for faster payment and then receive invoices. The software also allows you to configure access permissions, preventing users from viewing, modifying or deleting information.
Jane offers email, phone and chat support and is web-based.
Patient records in Jane (Source)
- Starting price: $85 per month
- Notable Features: Appointment planning, Billing and invoicing, Mapping, Customizable dashboard
RXNT is a feature-rich integrated suite of EHR, medical billing and practice management software for small clinics and private practitioners. The software helps track patient data and automatically updates patient information by evaluating diagnoses and lab reports.
You can use the software to digitally register patients and share patient records with them. Plus, you can schedule patient visits and send automated emails regarding appointment changes and prescription renewals.
The software also offers a patient portal to update health information, upload documents and pay bills online.
RXNT offers support via email, phone and chat. The software is web-based and has a desktop application as well. Moreover, it also has a mobile app for Android and iOS.
Medical Billing Dashboard in RXNT (Source)
How to Choose the Right EMR Software
The tools mentioned above can get you started on your software search, but to find the best EMR software that meets your needs, we recommend following these steps.
- Choose a tool that suits your business needs: The software you choose should match your business needs and goals. For example, the software you choose should be scalable to your clinic’s service areas. Your EMR software should be accessible from anywhere.
- Choose a tool that captures billable hours on a project: When you participate in live consultations, you must track your billable hours. Your chosen software should be able to track your billable hours and automatically associate them with the respective patient. These EMR tools eliminate manual data entry during invoice creation.
- Choose a tool that integrates with your existing software: Whether you’re scheduling a live consultation, video conferencing, or designing a patient portal, you’ll likely use several tools, such as a separate video conferencing tool or a data collection tool. In any case, if your pre-selected software is compatible with all the other solutions you use, communication with your patients will be smooth.
- Choose a tool that complies with security policies: The best EMR software should comply with the regulatory requirements of standard rules and regulations such as HIPAA or FDA compliance, to provide end-to-end encryption of patient information. Such medical software would ensure data access to authorized users, encryption of communications, validation of user identity, protection against unusual access, and prevention of security breaches.
- Choose a tool compatible with multiple devices: If you work remotely, your EMR software should be available on multiple devices. A tool that lets you schedule appointments, track bills, and view reports online from any device can help you be more efficient and accurate.
Common questions to ask when selecting EMR software
Here are some questions to ask EMR software vendors before making a final purchase:
- What types of deployment and access options are available? It is best to invest in a cloud-based solution to ensure a high level of security and privacy for your medical practice. It also provides easy and secure access to patient information on any device from anywhere.
- Does it support multiple users? Would you need multiple users to have access to the software (such as staff or co-therapists)? If your answer is yes, a solution that supports multiple users at a reasonable cost should be your top priority when considering options.
- What technical support channels does this software use? Review the technical support options for the EMR tool. Check technical support guidelines for your staff and patients. Also consider the types of channels (such as real-time chat, voice calls, and video calls, etc.) of technical support available.
How did we select these products? According to your reviews
At Software Advice, we review and verify all of our user reviews to recommend the most effective tools for your business.
Our software recommendations reflect the views and experiences of your peers. These recommendations are never bought or sold, nor based on the opinion of any single individual.
To be included in this list, products must:
- The products included in this list were part of Software Advice’s Frontrunners for EMR software.
To select the “most affordable” products, the 19 products included in the Frontrunners report were evaluated for their monthly price (as of January 21, 2021). Based on the valuation, the average price was calculated at $89.50. Products with a monthly subscription price below $89.50 were then shortlisted for inclusion in this list.
Meet our definition of the EMR software market: “EMR/EHR software automates clinical operations for healthcare providers. It allows healthcare professionals to create, store, update and share digital patient records, histories, medications, test results and more.