Police hold press conference on shooting investigation involving Riverside officer – WHIO TV 7 and WHIO Radio


RIVERSIDE – Riverside Police are holding a press conference Thursday morning to unveil new details of a shooting involving an officer on Tuesday night where a man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, investigators said.

>>A man from Springfield, 72, robbed, tied up with duct tape; police chase suspect before accident

The press conference will begin at 10 a.m. News Center 7 will be present and will update this story with new developments as they are announced.

Police said on Wednesday the man who exchanged gunfire with an officer died from a self-inflicted injury and not from shots fired by the officer.

Kevlin Wallace, 39, of Springfield, has been identified as the man who died in the incident, Montgomery County Coroner Dr Kent Harshbarger said in a press release on Wednesday.

The incident began as a report of a burglary or home burglary at a house in the 2500 block of Rondowa Avenue just before 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

The first officer at the scene, identified as Sgt. James Vance, found a woman pointing fingers at a potential suspect in the burglary, a spokesperson for Riverside Police said in a press release on Wednesday afternoon. Investigators said Vance drew his gun and approached the suspect, later identified as Wallace, when Wallace began shooting Vance, the spokesperson said in the statement.

“The suspect then starts shooting Sgt. Vance who retaliates by trying to ensure the safety of the woman witness. Sgt. Vance exchanges several bullets with the suspect who was shooting him, ”the spokesperson said.

The exchange of gunfire lasts approximately 30 seconds before Wallace fled from the scene to the area of ​​North Pleasant Valley Avenue and Bushnell Avenue. After the gunfire, several officers from surrounding jurisdictions responded to a call for assistance from officers, the spokesperson said.

As police in multiple jurisdictions began searching for Wallace, a second Riverside officer identified as Officer Perfetti reported seeing Wallace behind a house in the 200 block of North Pleasant Valley Avenue.

“Agent Perfetti, while directing the agents to the suspect’s location, hears a single shot and takes cover. This single shot is the only shot reported by an officer, ”the spokesperson said.

Wallace was later found in the garden of the house suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. He was taken to Miami Valley hospital where he was later pronounced dead, police said.

A preliminary autopsy report from the Montgomery County coroner’s office revealed that Wallace died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the spokesperson said. Police did not say whether Wallace was hit by any of the gunfire from Vance, who was the only officer to shoot a gun during the incident.

The police spokesperson said Vance had been a veteran of the department for more than 20 years.

Previously, police said Vance would be put on administrative leave while the incident was investigated. The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations was tasked with conducting the investigation.

We will continue to update this story as we learn more.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.